Justice of the Peace

Photography  by Jeff Wilson    












You may be able to require that this charge be dismissed by successfully completing a driving safety course or motorcycle operator training course.  You will lose that right if, on or before your appearance date, you do not provide the court with notice of your request to take the course.

If you are requesting that your ticket be dismissed when you take a Driving Safety Course, under Ch. 45.0511 of the Code of Criminal Procedures, you will need to do the following:

You shall remit the following by certified mail to properly request DSC.


Ř       Copy of the ticket

Ř       Copy of your valid class “C” Texas driver’s license

Ř       Copy of your current, valid insurance card, in which you are listed as the policy holder or a driver on the policy

Ř       Money Order in the amount of $110.00 payable to Justice of the Peace

Ř       Written, notarized affidavit containing the following:

·         plea of guilty or no contest

·         statement that you do not have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) and you have a valid class “C” Texas Driver’s License

·         statement that you are not currently taking DSC and have not taken the course for dismissal of a citation in the last 12 months

·         statement requesting DSC with this court

·        Provide information to the court before the appearance date on your ticket, you may not take the course until you get approval from the court.

·        Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return the paperwork.

You MAY NOT take a Driving Safety Course if any of the following apply:

·        You have a Commercial Driver License,

·        You have completed a Driving Safety Course in the 12 months preceding the date of the offense,

·        You were allegedly going 25 or more miles per hour (mph) over the posted speed limit.

·     You were cited for a violation of Section 545.066 (Passing a School Bus), 550.022 (Accident Involving Damage to Vehicle), or 550.023 (Duty to Give Information and Render Aid), Transportation Code; a serious traffic violation; or an offense to which Section 542.404 (Construction or Maintenance Work Zone) and also Section 472.022(f) (Obeying Warning Signs).


If your request is made properly and a Driving Safety Course Disposition is granted by the court, you will have 90 days to take your Texas state approved course and remit the required documentation, including the course completion certificate and certified driving record, to the court.  Your certified driving record may be obtained, by your request, from the Texas Department of Public Safety (TxDPS); a $10.00 fee must be paid to TxDPS along with your request either by mail or online at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/dr-1.pdfPlease make sure your Driving Safety Course Completion Certificate indicates the correct court for which you are taking the course.

You may take the required course by any means of your choice (at a restaurant, through an internet course, video rental, etc.), as long as the course is Texas state approved.  Any course that is not Texas state approved will not meet the requirements for a dismissal.

Juveniles: A Defendant, who was younger than 17 years of age at the time the ticket was received, must appear in person with a parent, guardian or managing conservator, to enter a plea and request a Driving Safety Course or Motorcycle Operator Training Course. 











Hit Counter

Copyright 1998-2007 Brazoria County | Email: Webmaster