District Clerk

Photography  by Jeff Wilson    














1. Reciprocals (UIFSA): Actions involving child support in which the case     has been received from another court outside the state. 

2. Divorces: A suit brought by a party to a marriage to dissolve that marriage pursuant to Family Code, Chapter 6. 

3. Motions to modify:  Actions to modify previously granted divorce decrees, or     other judgments or decrees, in such matters as amount of child support, child    custody orders, and other similar motions which are filed under the original    cause number. 

4. Annulments: Annulment is a legal procedure for declaring a marriage null and    void. Unlike divorce, it is retroactive: an annulled marriage is considered never     to have existed. 

5. Adoptions:  Adoption is the process of legally replacing one or both parents with a new parent or parents. Adoption is a permanent process. The rights of    the parents are terminated, and the child to be adopted becomes the legal     child of the adopting parents. Once the adoption is completed, the order is not     reviewed, and the court documents are usually sealed.

6. Changes of name: The Courts are often willing to accept name changes for almost any legitimate reason. However, the granting of a Petition for Change of Name is discretionary with the Court. For an order of name change to be granted, the Court must find compliance with the requirements of notice and the requirements for the allegations in the Petition. The Court must also find good and sufficient reason for the change and find the change consistent with the public interest.

7. Termination of parental rights: Termination of the Parent-Child Relationship is a legal proceeding to remove the natural parents as the persons responsible for the care and control of a child. Once a parent’s rights have been terminated, they no longer have a legal relationship with a child.  

8. Child Protective Service cases:  CPS believes that children should not be removed from their homes except to protect them from abuse or neglect and when there are no reasonable efforts CPS can make to provide for the children’s safety and prevent their removal. CPS is allowed by law to remove children for abuse and neglect or for being at risk of abuse or neglect only after a court orders it or when there is no time consistent with the health and safety of the child to obtain a court order and the person taking possession of the child has sufficient knowledge or reason to believe:

* there is an immediate danger to the physical health or safety of the child;

* the child has been the victim of sexual abuse;

* the person with possession of the child is currently using a controlled substance and the use constitutes an immediate danger to the physical health or safety of the child; or

* the person with possession of the child has permitted the child to remain on premises used for the manufacture of methamphetamines.

For more information visit Texas Department of Family and Protective Services .

9. Removal of disability of minority: A minor may petition to have the  disabilities of minority removed for limited or general purposes if the minor is:

            (1)  a resident of this state;                                               

            (2)  17 years of age, or at least 16 years of age and living

                   separate and apart from the minor's  parents, managing

                   conservator, or guardian;  and

           (3) self-supporting and managing the minor's own financial affairs.       

10. Suit to Establish Parent-Child Relationship:  An action to determine parentage and/or for orders establishing custody, visitation and child support.

11. Protective Order:  A court order that protects you from someone who has been violent or threatened to be violent.   

12. Motion to Enforce:  § 157.001 Family Code

      (a)  A motion for enforcement as provided in this chapter may be filed to enforce a final order for conservatorship, child support, possession of or access to a child, or other provisions of a final order.

      (b)  The court may enforce by contempt a final order for possession of and access to a child as provided in this chapter.

      (c)  The court may enforce a final order for child support as provided in this chapter or Chapter 158.

      (d)  A motion for enforcement shall be filed in the court of continuing, exclusive jurisdiction.   











Hit Counter

Copyright 1998-2007 Brazoria County | Email: Webmaster